Friday, January 23, 2009

FREEDOM of Religion

I consider myself fairly religious. I also consider myself Christian. Do I think that Christianity is the only "right" religion? The God that I believe in would not discrimanate people based on how they worship him... How would he handle non-believers? I'm not sure, but I do know one thing - IT IS NOT MY JOB TO CONDEMN THEM! And neither is it any person's job who is walking on our beautiful planet today!

I am sickened by people's outrage at Obama's inclusion of non-Christian faiths and non-believers in his inaugural speech. We finally have a president who represents diverse groups of people in our country and religion is what we're screaming about?! Religion is one facet of diversity people!

And I get REALLY pissed when people use "our Christian society" to verbally persecute other religions! Yes, our country was built (primarily) by Christians, but don't forget WHY it was built! It was built to ESCAPE RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION AND HAVE RELIGIOUS FREEDOM!!! It was built so that no one would have to suffer the same kind of tribulations because of their religious beliefs that the pilgrims suffered!

And let's not forget what we did to the Native Americans when we came here! That is something we still pay for to this day!

I work with Muslims and Hindus and non-believers everyday at my school. The religious systems of the Muslims and Hindus are just as intricate and interesting as Christianity. And I love all of my students and collegues FOR their differences! I have three Mulsim students who run in and hug me every morning. They do not care that my beliefs are different than theirs, just like I don't care about their beliefs!

So, let's be the country that we're supposed to be! People come here from ALL OVER THE WORLD, escaping atrocities that only happen in our nightmares! We can't even imagine what most of these people have been through to get here! Let's not judge someone because they wear a headscarf, a turban, a yarmulke, or anything else. Let's judge people based on their actions and their attitudes!

Obama was right to include everyone in his speech, because he was elected by everyone! Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, people from every race and creed voted for him! Should he ignore them just because they have a different belief system? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I give Obama props for making such a statement at his inauguration! YOU ROCK!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this is a little off-topic, but I would like to add a litle something about Rush Limbaugh's "I hope Obama fails" comment. Seriously...you really hope he fails...you hope that this country sinks down even further into the abyss of crap that George W. has led us down. Well, quite frankly, that doesn't suprise me, because only a pile of sh*t like yourself would overlook the well-being of this great country and the lives of millions of Americans just because your candidate didn't win! During the entire stint of GWB's presidency, I never heard anyone make such an asinine statement...but like I said, coming from Rush, that is no suprise.

Lyubov Yelinson said...

You are not liberal, you are commonsense!